Types of Adoptions
Stepparent/domestic partner adoption:
- The spouse or domestic partner of the child’s parent adopts that child.
- The couple must be legally married or registered as domestic partners.
- It is the most common type of adoption.
- It is a little simpler than other types because 1 of the child’s birth parents still remains the child’s parent.
An independent, agency, or international adoption:
- Independent adoption is when no adoption agency or the Department of Social Services is part of the adoption case. In these cases, if the existing and adopting parents agree, the parental rights of the existing parents do not have to be terminated (end).
- Agency adoption is when the California Department of Social Services or a licensed adoption agency is part of the adoption case.
- International adoption is when the child to be adopted was born in another country.
In all these three types, the court ends the parental rights of the child’s two birth parents, and the adoptive parents become the children’s legal parents.
from California Courts